WinZip is a Windows-based program that allows you to compress files and open compressed files in .zip format. How Does WinZip Work?
WinZip also supports the most popular compression and file formats, such as.gzip, BinHex (.hqx), cabinet (.cab), Unix compress and Tar.
WinZip can also open the ARJ, LZH, and ARC file formats that are used less frequently, but requires external programs to do so.
Download WinZip Latest Version
Download WinZip securely for free. The download will start instantly by clicking on the button on your platform...
What are Zip Files?
Zip files (.zip or.zipx) are individual files, sometimes called "files", that contain one or more compressed files.
Zip files make it easier to maintain related files and make transporting, emailing, downloading and storing both data and software faster and more efficient.
The Zip format is the most popular compression format used in the Windows environment and WinZip is the most popular compression utility.
- Saves space
- By effectively compressing .ZIP and .RAR files it helps save storage space on your computer or mobile device.
- Varied decompression
- Offers decompression of several important formats
- You can easily encrypt your files when you compress them, so you can protect them.
- File sharing made easy
- You can share your files via email, social networks and also via instant messaging.
How to Create a ZIP File?
- Places the files to compress in a single directory
- Highlights all files that will be included in the ZIP archive
- Right-click one of the highlighted files and select WinZip.
- Add to archive (or Add to archive).
- Enter the path and filename in the Add to archive field.
- To password protect the ZIP archive.
- Click Password, enter the password, re-enter it, and click OK.
- Click Add
How to Extract a ZIP File?
- Regular ZIP files (i.e. files with extension.ZIP)
- Double-click the ZIP file to open WinZip.
- Click Extract.
- For extracted files, select the destination folder.
- Click Extract.
- If the file is password-protected, enter the password and click OK.
- All files are extracted to the selected directory (and/or subdirectories, depending on how the ZIP file was created).
- Self-extracting ZIP files (files with extension.EXE)
- Double-click the.EXE file.
- Click Unzip to extract the files to the default directory.
- Click Browse to select a specific directory and click Unzip.
Download and Install WinZip on Your Computer
- Download the software from WinZip, following the instructions from the official site:
- At the end of the download, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder on the hard drive where you saved the file.
- Click on the file you downloaded.
- After a dialog box opens, click Settings.
- Another dialog box will appear asking you where to install WinZip
- The default location is program files\WinZip.
- Choose where to install the program and then click OK.
- The Installation Wizard will start.
- Clicking Next will bring up a dialog box asking you to accept or reject the terms of the license agreement.
- Click Yes to accept the terms.
- During installation, you will be asked to choose from several options, many of which depend on your personal preferences.
- If in doubt, select the default or recommended options.
- Once WinZip is installed, depending on the options you choose during installation.
- You can start WinZip from the Start menu and/or desktop shortcuts.
- In addition, right-clicking a zip file will open a context menu with WinZip options.
- It includes file extraction, encryption and the creation of an AutoExtractor.
Comments for this article have been closed.